Applications with Certificate of Eligibility (visa for work and/or long term stay)

An applicant who wishes to enter Japan under the visa categories of Employment/Working, General or Specified is required to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). COE is a document issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. In order to obtain a COE, the applicant must have a sponsor in Japan, such as an employer, a school, or a relative, etc. The sponsor in Japan must contact the local Immigration Office in order to apply for your Certificate. List of local Immigration offices can be found here. Please refer to Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau: for details on how to obtain a COE. Once the COE is obtained, the sponsor should send it to the applicant, which should then be provided to the Japanese Consulate or Embassy abroad with other visa application documents.
Note: Applicants who entered the United States with B1/B2 visa or who are under U.S. visa exemption status will not be accepted in this office.

For those applying with a Certificate of Eligibility, please submit the following documents:

* Please note that letters and certificates must be original. Letters must be on official letterhead with hand written signatures by an authorized executive. Electronic or scanned signatures are not acceptable.

* Additional documentation may be requested with your application, depending on your particular status or circumstances.

□ Certificate of Eligibility (original)

Valid passport: properly signed by the bearer (original passport is required; please be sure your passport has available visa pages)

□ 1 application form: Completely filled out and signed by the applicant; signature must be original

□ 1 photograph: (2 in. x 2 in. front view) of applicant; picture must have a white background and be less than 30 days old

□  Copy of flight itinerary: Confirmed e-ticket, or flight itinerary directly from the airline. We do not accept itineraries from travel agencies or third party websites. It must be from the airline. Please note: we are not responsible for tickets that are unusable due to delay or denial of visa. 


     * If traveling on a space-available or stand-by (non-revenue) ticket, also provide the followings:

- Applicant’s (or qualifying airline employee’s) employment (or retirement) verification letter from the airline company, explicitly  
           authorizing the applicant (or employee) to use the ticket

          - A copy of valid airline employee ID card (or retiree ID from the airline, if retired) who obtained the non-revenue ticket

□ Copy of proof of Florida residency. Proof of residency must be in the form of a Florida state issued ID card or driver's license if applying by mail. Non Florida driver’s license or ID holders are required to apply in person, with a proof of residential address in Florida (e.g. apartment leases and/or utility bills).

□ Release of Liability form: not required if picking up in person

□ Prepaid, self-addressed envelope: not required if picking up in person. Visa section will not return passports without self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage. WE DO NOT ACCEPT UPS or FEDEX. Please use USPS Express or Priority Mail.

□ Authorization Form: required when documents are submitted and/or picked up by anyone other than the applicant. Signature on form must be original. 

If not a U.S. citizen:

□ Proof of U.S. legal immigration status: Copy of U.S. Green card, or resident visa that allows re-entry to the U.S. and I-94. F and J visa holders must also submit a copy of properly endorsed I-20 and DS-2019 forms, respectively.

□ Payment of visa fee: if country of citizenship does not have a visa fee exemption. This fee is payable in exact cash, U.S. money order, or cashier's check, and must be made payable to the Consulate General of Japan.