Transit Visa

Transit visas are issued to foreign nationals (whose country of citizenship is NOT on the visa exemption page traveling through Japan en route to another country and staying for 1 night (or less)only. Travelers with immediate connection flights which only requires change of an aircraft within the same airport, and are not required to go through immigration clearance do not require a visa. Activities for this type of visa are limited to sightseeing and rest.

Note: anyone staying for 2 or more nights must apply for a Temporary Visitor visa.

For those applying for a Transit visa, please submit the following documents:

*Please note that letters and certificates must be original. Letters must be on official letterhead with hand written signatures by an authorized executive. Electronic or scanned signatures are not acceptable.

*Additional documentation may be requested with your application, depending on your particular status or circumstances.

NOTE: Please do NOT staple documents.

1.   Valid passport: properly signed by the bearer (original passport is required; please be sure your passport has available visa pages)

2.   1 Application Form: Completely filled out and signed by the applicant; signature must be original.  If there is a field not applicable on the application form, please write “N/A” or “None”.

*An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).

3.   1 photograph: (2 in. x 1.4 in. front view) of applicant; picture must have a white background and taken within 6 months.

4.   Copy of roundtrip flight itinerary:  Itinerary must include the applicant’s name and date along with the flight information. It is not necessary to purchase the airline ticket until the visa is approved, however reservation must be made. It is recommended to add trip protection or insurance should the applicant needs to cancel. In order to make a reservation without purchase, please consult with the airline or travel agency. Please note: we are not responsible for tickets that are unusable due to delay or denial of visa. 

      *If traveling on a space-available or stand-by (non-revenue) ticket, also provide the followings:

           - Applicant’s (or qualifying airline employee’s) employment (or retirement) verification letter from
              the airline company, explicitly authorizing the applicant (or employee) to use the ticket
           - A copy of valid airline employee ID card (or retiree ID from the airline, if retired) who obtained
              the non-revenue ticket

5.   Copy of hotel confirmation: The applicant must provide the hotel confirmation for every day they are staying in Japan. The hotel confirmation must include the applicant’s name and date of stay.

6.   Copy of visa of the other country/countries being visited (if required): Visa must be in the passport at the time of application. If a visa is not required, please submit proof that you are visa exempt to enter that country (e.g. print out of a credible source such as Embassies’ or Consulates’ website that shows visa exemption countries).

7.   Proof of sufficient funds: Applicant or financial guarantor's latest 3 months' savings and/or checking account statements (no credit card statement or investment accounts). The applicant must have sufficient amount to cover all expenses for the travel.

8.   Proof of U.S. legal immigration status: Copy of U.S. Green card, or resident visa that allows re-entry to the U.S. and I-94. F or J visa holders must also submit a copy of properly endorsed I-20 and DS-2019 forms, respectively.

9.   Copy of proof of Florida residential address: Proof of residency must be in the form of a Florida state issued ID card or driver's license with current address if applying by mail. Non Florida driver’s license or ID holders are required to apply in person, with a proof of residential address in Florida (e.g. apartment leases and/or utility bills).

10.   Payment of visa fee: if country of citizenship does not have a visa fee exemption. This fee is payable in exact cash, U.S. money order, or cashier's check, and must be made payable to the Consulate General of Japan. Neither personal checks nor credit cards are accepted.

11. Authorization Form: required when documents are submitted and/or picked up by anyone other than the applicant. Required for applicants that are 15 years or older. Entire form must be filled out by the applicant, and signature on form must be original.

Applying by mail

This will be accepted from applicants who reside outside of the Miami-Dade and Broward County. Please provide the following if applying by mail;

12. Release of Liability form: Original form must be submitted.

13. Prepaid, self-addressed envelope with tracking numbers: not required if picking up in person. Return mailing option is only available when the applicant possesses a valid Florida driver's license or a Florida state issued ID card with his/her current address.

※ Please note that Visa section will not return passports without self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage.

※ For FedEx and UPS return envelopes, please make the sender and the recipient's address the same.

※ If you would like to pick up your passport in person, please include a note or memo in the application package to indicate that you would like to do so.

Please mail your application to the following address.

Consulate-General of Japan in Miami
Consular Section (Visa Department)
80 S.W. 8th Street, Suite 3200
Miami, FL 33130

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at