Visiting Japan & Visas


Visa Information

The Visa Office at the Consulate General of Japan in Miami is responsible for issuing visas to foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) residing in Florida who wish to visit or work/live in Japan. Those who hold a B1/B2 visa or who are visiting under the visa waiver program may not apply for their visas through the Miami consulate.

Non-Florida residents should refer to the jurisdiction map to determine which Consulate or Embassy has jurisdiction over their area of residence.

Whether or not you need to apply for a visa depends upon factors such as the purpose and length of your visit as well as your nationality. We highly recommend applying for a visa several weeks in advance of your intended departure.

Click here for more information on Visas

A Daily Life Suport Portal for Foreign Nationals

Guidebook on Living and Working - For foreign nationals who start living in Japan -


The Consulate General of Japan in Miami is a Government Agency. For this reason we do not offer the JR PASS, vacation plans, or other tourist and visitors programs.

It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance

Get prepared, so you can leave your worries behind and enjoy Japan 

・ An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
・ Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
・   It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.

For safe travels in Japan: Guide for when you are feeling ill 

You must not bring any meat products, vegetables or fruits into Japan 

Information on Local Call Centers

COVID-19 Call Center

Visit Japan Web

Click here for a list of tourism related sites

Bringing Medication

Japan has very strict guidelines and regulations in regard to the bringing in of medications. An importer of medication (drug, quasi-drug, cosmetic or medical device) for business purposes needs a License from the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare under the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law.

There is no need for a License for individual's importing or bringing medication into Japan for personal use. An individual can import restricted quantities of medication without special procedures. Medication imported or brought into Japan for personal use must not be sold or given to others. Travelers should bring a script as well as a letter for each drug's name and purpose from their doctors.

Click here for more information on Bringing Medication

Recommended Links

Further Use of Facial Recognition Automated Gates (Notice)

Be aware of traffic rules in Japan

Customs Bureau


Immigration Bureau

Outline of Immigration

Ministry of Justice

Animal Quarantine

Plant Quarantine

U.S. Department of State: Country Specific Information