Applying for Visa with Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

An applicant who wishes to enter Japan under the visa categories of Employment/Working, General or Specified is required to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). COE is a document issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. In order to obtain a COE, the applicant must have a sponsor in Japan, such as an employer, a school, or a relative, etc. The sponsor in Japan must contact the local Immigration Office in order to apply for your Certificate. List of local Immigration offices can be found here. Please refer to Ministry of Justice, Immigration Services Agency: for details on how to obtain a COE. Once the COE is obtained, the sponsor should send it to the applicant, which should then be provided to the Japanese Consulate or Embassy abroad with other visa application documents.
Note: Applicants who entered the United States with B1/B2 visa or who are under U.S. visa exemption status will not be accepted in this office.

* Please note that letters and certificates must be original. Letters must be on official letterhead with hand written signatures by an authorized executive. Electronic or scanned signatures are not acceptable.

* Additional documentation may be requested with your application, depending on your particular status or circumstances.

*DO NOT staple documents.

1. Certificate of Eligibility (COE): original or a copy of the applicant's paper Certificate of Eligibility or a printed copy of  the email

2. Valid passport: properly signed by the bearer (original passport is required; please be sure your passport has available visa pages)

3. Application Form Completely filled out and signed by the applicant; signature must be original. If there is a field not applicable on the application form, please write “N/A” or “None”.

*An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).

4. 1 passport-type photograph (2 in. x 1.4 in. front view) of applicant: must be taken within 6 months, with a white background and color printed on photo quality paper.

5. Copy of proof of Florida residential address: Proof of residency must be in the form of a Florida state issued ID card or driver's license with current address if applying by mail. Non Florida driver’s license or ID holders are required to apply in person, with a proof of residential address in Florida (e.g. apartment leases and/or utility bills).

6. Authorization Form : required when documents are submitted and/or picked up by anyone other than the applicant. Required for applicants that are 15 years or older. Entire form must be filled out by the applicant, and signature on form must be original.

If not a U.S. citizen:
7. Proof of U.S. legal immigration status: Copy of U.S. Green card, or resident visa that allows re-entry to the U.S. and I-94. F and J visa holders must also submit a copy of properly endorsed I-20 and DS-2019 forms, respectively.

8. Payment of visa fee: if country of citizenship does not have a visa fee exemption. This fee is payable in exact cash, U.S. money order, or cashier's check, and must be made payable to the Consulate General of Japan. Neither personal checks nor credit cards are accepted.

Applying by mail

9. Release of Liability form

10. Prepaid, self-addressed envelope with tracking numbers: not required if picking up in person. Return mailing option is only available when the applicant possesses a valid Florida driver's license or a Florida state issued ID card with his/her current address.

※ Please note that Visa section will not return passports without self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage.

※ For FedEx and UPS return envelopes, please make the sender and the recipient's address the same.

※ If you would like to pick up your passport in person, please include a note or memo in the application package to indicate that you would like to do so.

Please mail your application to the following address.

Consulate-General of Japan in Miami
Consular Section (Visa Department)
80 S.W. 8th Street, Suite 3200
Miami, FL 33130

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at