Temporary Visitor Visa
October 31, 2019
Note: Applicants who entered the United States with B1/B2 visa or who are under U.S. visa exemption status will not be accepted in this office.
For those applying for a Temporary Visitor visa, please submit the following documents:
* Additional and/or notarized documentation may be requested with your application, depending on your particular status or circumstances.
NOTE: Please do NOT staple documents.
1. Valid passport: properly signed by the bearer (original passport is required; please be sure your passport has available visa pages)
2. 1 Application Form: Completely filled out and signed by the applicant; signature must be original. If there is a field not applicable on the application form, please write “N/A” or “None”.
*An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).
3. 1 photograph: (2 in. x 2 in. front view) of applicant; picture must have a white background and taken within 6 months.
4. Copy of roundtrip flight itinerary: Itinerary must include the applicant’s name and date along with the flight information. It is not necessary to purchase the airline ticket until the visa is approved, however reservation must be made. It is recommended to add trip protection or insurance should the applicant needs to cancel. In order to make a reservation without purchase, please consult with the airline or travel agency. Please note: we are not responsible for tickets that are unusable due to delay or denial of visa.
* If traveling on a space-available or stand-by (non-revenue) ticket, also provide the followings:
- Applicant’s (or qualifying airline employee’s) employment (or retirement) verification letter from
the airline company, explicitly authorizing the applicant (or employee) to use the ticket
- A copy of valid airline employee ID card (or retiree ID from the airline, if retired) who obtained
the non-revenue ticket
5. Copy of hotel confirmation: The applicant must provide the hotel confirmation for every day they are staying in Japan. The hotel confirmation must include the applicant’s name and date of stay.
Letter of invitation: If the applicant is staying at a friend or relative’s residence in Japan, the following documents are required by the inviter to prepare for the applicant instead of a hotel confirmation;
- Invitation Letter: Original form must be submitted
- Copy of the inviter’s passport
- Copy of Japanese Residence card front and back side (if non-Japanese citizen)
- Military Employment Verification Letter (If staying with military personnel)
6. Proof of sufficient funds: Applicant or financial guarantor’s latest 2 months’ savings and/or checking account statements (no credit card statements or investment accounts). The applicant must have sufficient amount to cover all expenses for the travel. If expenses are covered by a financial guarantor, please provide the following additional documents;
- Letter of Guarantee: Original form must be submitted
- Copy of guarantor’s passport
- Employment verification letter: original form must be submitted
7. Employment Verification Letter of the account holder above: This form must be on official letterhead with hand written signatures by an authorized executive. Electronic or scanned signatures are not acceptable. Following information must be included in the Employment Verification Letter;
- Applicant or financial guarantor’s position in the company
- Duration of employment
- Monthly or annual salary
*Please provide a copy of company registration, if self-employed.
8. Letter of business invitation (for commercial business and conference): A letter addressed to our Consulate from the company/institution in Japan or your company/institution in the U.S. explaining purpose of trip in detail, dates/duration of intended stay, and a contact person and his/her phone number and email address. If any expenses are covered by the company/institution, it must be stated that they will guarantee the financial responsibility. Only letters on official letterhead with original hand written signatures are acceptable.
9. Schedule of Stay: A detailed day to day schedule of the applicant's stay in Japan.
10. Proof of U.S. legal immigration status: Copy of U.S. Green card, or resident visa that allows re-entry to the U.S. and I-94. F and J visa holders must also submit a copy of properly endorsed I-20 and DS-2019 forms, respectively.
11. Copy of proof of Florida residential address: Proof of residency must be in the form of a Florida state issued ID card or driver's license with current address if applying by mail. Non Florida driver’s license or ID holders are required to apply in person, with a proof of residential address in Florida (e.g. apartment leases and/or utility bills).
12. Payment of visa fee: If the applicant’s country of citizenship does not have a visa fee exemption, this fee is payable in cash. Neither personal checks nor credit cards are accepted.
13. Authorization Form: required when documents are submitted and/or picked up by anyone other than the applicant. Required for applicants that are 15 years or older. Entire form must be filled out by the applicant, and signature on form must be original.
Applying by mail
This will be accepted from applicants who reside outside of the Miami-Dade and Broward County. Please provide the following if applying by mail;
14. Release of Liability form: Original form must be submitted.
15. Prepaid, self-addressed envelope: not required if picking up in person. Return mailing option is only available when the applicant possesses a valid Florida driver's license or a Florida state issued ID card with his/her current address. Visa section will not return passports without self-addressed envelope and sufficient postage. WE DO NOT ACCEPT UPS or FEDEX. Please use USPS Express or Priority Mail.